A few weekends ago we were invited to our friend’s lake house for a summer afternoon of boating, swimming, relaxing, and of course, eating. After offering to bring a side dish to go along with the BBQ dinner, I realized I had no time to go food shopping. I had to work with what I had on hand, and that’s how this Colorful Cannellini Bean Salad came together.
I’ll often mix up a quick bean salad for lunch or weeknight dinners during the summer. They tend to go with anything else I’m serving, you don’t have to turn on the oven, and you can sneak some fiber and veggies in to the meal. This version uses white beans and colorful veggies and comes together quickly as you just mix everything together in a bowl. That’s the extent of the prep. It’s versatile too, as you can swap out veggies depending on what you have on hand. For example sometimes I’ll add cherry tomatoes in place of the peppers.
And who knew, bean salads are popular too. Another friend brought a black bean salad to the gathering and both were almost gone by the time we all left. I saw a few teenagers go back for seconds! That’s when you know you’re on to a good recipe.
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans
- ½ large cucumber (or 1 small), peeled and large dice
- ½ red, orange or yellow pepper, large dice
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- Fresh parsley or mint, 2 Tbsp. or so
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon, or more to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse and drain beans, and add to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and gently mix together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. That’s it!
- Refrigerate until serving, but remove from fridge and let come to room temperature before serving. Makes delicious leftovers too.